Monday, September 20, 2010

You Deserve It!

In the past few months my attention has been caught by commercials that try and sell their products by claiming I "deserve" it.  I've even heard the phrase in conversations with friends and relatives.  Quite frankly, it kinda creeps me out.  Don't misunderstand--this hasn't been an overnight realization.  I would love to think that I "deserve" only the best of everything.  But alas, God has been revealing to me that in fact, what I "deserve" is death and hell. 


It all started a few years back with my rights.  I'm an American, therefore, I have certain rights and privileges.  Somewhere along the way I've translated the idea to mean that in every area of my life I have rights, even in my relationship with Christ.  (which, by the way, should transcend everything else in my world)   I can't pinpoint the time this began to change, only that it did.


Maybe it was when Grandma had her stroke, and I was angry because it was her... (those who know can finish out the thought).  Maybe it was when we were working crazy hours with kids who weren't able to live with their parents, and we were all wearing hats we hadn't been hired to wear.  The kids certainly hadn't "deserved" their circumstances.  Who was I to complain about mine?  Maybe it was when my high school senior was on the team that lost an epic game which ended a 30 year tradition.  His class didn't "deserve" that infamy.  In all of those events there were multiple emotions:  anger, grief, guilt, fear, strife, weariness....


In these times (and many others), there's the battle of just making it through.  And then, we come along and add the extra burden of telling God and others that we don't "deserve" to have any of these things happen to us.  After all, we have rights.


And then the Spirit of a holy and righteous God gently (because He knows we're dust) begins to speak.  God created a beautiful, perfect world in order to draw us into relationship with Him.  He created Adam and Eve to begin the journey.  They screwed it up.  Did He "deserve" that?  He developed a relationship with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to make known His character.  They screwed it up more.  Did He "deserve" that?  He delivered them time and time again from their enemies.  Did they "deserve" that?  He sent His only Son to bear the sin of everyone--past, present, future--to make a way for relationship with us.  Did Jesus "deserve" that?  Well obviously, this could go on and on. 


And yet, out of His love for us, He still uses all manner of creation to draw us to Himself.  Yes, we "deserve" death and hell.  Instead, He grants us mercy, grace, and sweet, sweet peace.  He "deserves" our love, devotion, and adoration.  Certainly not the whining we (or maybe just I) usually give.  

So next time someone tells you what you "deserve" remember what it is you really "deserve."  Trust me, I'll be doing the same--it's become that 'song' that won't get out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment