Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Law of the Harvest

As a young mother at home with three preschool children time could be a little intimidating.  I was so wrapped up in my own world that I jokingly tell people I have no idea what happened in the world-at-large between 1980 and 1985.  Actually, I remember a couple of things -- I remember when Mount St. Helen's erupted, and I remember Anwar Sadat's assassination and funeral.

Many times I listened to different pastors on the radio to keep a little sanity going--adult conversation and all that stuff you know.  My favorites were Dr. Charles (Chuck) Swindoll and Dr. Charles Stanley.  Both of these men have greatly influenced my spiritual life, and their wisdom played a large role in raising my children.  I forget that until an event reminds me of some nugget of truth they shared many years ago.


Dr. Stanley talked often about the law of the harvest.  My grandparents farmed, one of my uncle's farmed, another had orchards, and Mike's aunt and uncle had a greenhouse and orchards as well.  This was information I needed to know, so I paid close attention.  It goes like this: 


1)  You reap what you sow


2)  You reap later than you sow


3)  You reap more than you sow


Mull that over in your brain for awhile.  I've been 'mulling' that over for at least a couple of decades now.  The ramifications are staggering.  


The thing is, it doesn't matter 'what' you sow, the law stays the same.  So, if I sow kindness, graciousness, humor, etc, I'll reap what I sow.  I'll reap later than I sow.  I'll reap more than I sow.  The same thing goes for grumbling, complaining, laziness, etc.


This law of the harvest comes into play in every aspect of our lives.  Sobering isn't it?  Paul says in Philippians, "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

May we all strive to sow things that would glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment