Saturday, November 20, 2010

Good Times

Denise Kelly introduced me to Creative Memories the summer before Nathan's senior year in high school.  There were several reasons for my excitement about the company.  One, there was finally a way to capture the essence of the photo not just on film, but with journaling as well.  Two, maybe, just maybe, we could do something with the thousands of pictures we had in boxes.  Three, the products are designed to last -- a very long time.  (anybody else have faded pictures in sticky books?)  I determined during our very first meeting that I would create a senior album for each one of the kids.  And, I did.  And each one received their book within the year of their high school graduation.  (one of my more amazing accomplishments I think)

Mike and I are getting the house ready for lots of company next week.  Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday.  Fellowship and food--the gift of family, friendship, and fun without the bother and stress of Christmas.  While we were rearranging furniture we ran across a box of things his siblings had gathered for him after Grandma died.  We have plenty of space in a filing cabinet we use and the decision was made to file it away at a later time.

This afternoon that was my task.  I found birth announcements for several of Mike's cousins and a note to Mike from a friend at church who had pinned him during his induction into Permian High School's National Honor Society.  There were church bulletins from special events and even one from Bacon Heights in Lubbock.  There were obituaries of those we've loved and lost.  There were thank you notes from several that Pop and Gram had blessed in some way through the years.  There was even a picture one of the kids had drawn of Pop's work.  There were report cards and scholarship letters.  Lots of memories.


But what sparked my interest the most were the photographs.  Several of our first Christmas as a married couple.  I'd forgotten Donna and I were so thin back in the day.  (What happened?)  There were pictures of Mike growing up.  Baseball, football, birthdays were all marked by pictures.  There was one of him in his baseball uniform standing in front of the infamous storage shed.  (he and Terry used to 'shoot' Donna off of it)  My favorite has to be one of him and Granny Ray grinning at each other the night he graduated from high school.  Priceless.  I wonder what the secret was?  There's a picture of Mike, Donna, and Terry as little guys.  Michael may have been five.  I was mesmerized by their hands.  Each little hand was telling its own story.


There were other photos.  Several taken of Pop and Gram during happier times.  The last few years so overshadowed my memories that I had forgotten other times--the good times.


I know everyone doesn't like to record memories the way I do.  And really, I don't mean for this to be a Creative Memories commercial, but have you collected a few things and made notes about them?  Some day your family will be going through your stuff.  Will there be items there to remind them of the good times?  Will there be pictures but no stories to go with them?  The 'why' answered for the shared grin?  I hope so.  Today I was unexpectedly blessed by pictures from the past.  It might have been better if there were a few stories written somewhere about those pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment