Thursday, July 5, 2012

Listening . . .

After the month of June, I again remember why God gives us children when we're young. And yes, there's definitely a physical aspect to it, but the mental aspect is just as tough. Being consistent, choosing your battles, being one step ahead . . . lots of things to consider and to be on top of.

Something that really struck me while our two little guys were here is the art of listening. Kayden does everything at top speed, including talking.  After asking him to repeat himself on several occasions, Kristi and I would often look at one another and just shrug our shoulders.  We didn't get it.  Alas.  We could hear, but we couldn't understand.

Another thing I noticed was that the boys would be so involved in whatever they were doing they couldn't hear us.  Well, they could hear us, they just weren't listening.  Many times we had to ask them, "Are you listening to me?"  Other times we would physically touch their face and ask them to look at our eyes so we might communicate.  We had to get their undivided attention (if that's even possible with 2-year-olds).  There were only a few times when they were actually not wanting to listen, mostly they were just busy and didn't want to stop their current activity.

It reminds me that I do the same thing with God.  I get so wrapped up in whatever the day brings, that I sometimes forget to listen.  I hear, but I don't listen.  And sometimes the Holy Spirit will prod a little harder, "Are you listening?"  And I don't.  And then, God will reach down and touch me in order to get my undivided attention.  And it's not because I'm being stubborn or defiant, it's just because I'm too busy, and I don't want to stop what I'm doing.

And then this morning as I'm working through 1 Kings I have to do a word study on understanding, discern, and wise.  Two of them are used in this context as verbs.  Guess what they mean.  Yep.  "To hear, to listen closely, consider carefully, perceives by ear, to hear intelligently, perceives with the senses, etc."  

Hope you take time to LISTEN today.  Isn't God amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment