Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Boldness or Comfort?

Have you ever noticed that when we pray we ask for deliverance, healing, comfort, or more of whatever it is we want?  Just wondering.

Have you ever heard people talk about going through difficult times and then testify about how much God taught them through those experiences - and how they wouldn't want anything about that time to change?

We are on a journey through Acts right now, and as I read I am stunned by the fact that the early believers did not pray for the persecution to stop.  No, they prayed for boldness in order to speak clearly and continually about their Savior.  And as I'm thinking about that, I'm reminded that later Paul often spoke of how he was able to witness to those around him while in prison.

What if we prayed for boldness instead of deliverance?  What if we prayed for illness rather than healing?  What if we prayed for discomfort instead of comfort.  What if we stopped trying to acquire things and spent all that effort on helping others? What if we prayed that WE would be bold? What if we prayed that through everything God would be glorified? What might God reveal to us about Himself if we prayed differently?

What if . . . .

Psalm 116:12-14:  What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits to me?  I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord, I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of His people.


No comments:

Post a Comment