Monday, September 19, 2011

Random Thoughts on Prayer

Prayer.  A six-letter word that can be more difficult than it sounds.  How do we do it?  What is its purpose?  How often do we do it?  What are we to pray about?  Who and what should we pray for?  So many questions.

Prayer is not a natural for me.  As a matter of fact it's a real struggle at times.  Now, if you tell me that it's all about having a conversation with God?  I think I do that almost always. One conversation right after another -- about everything that's going on in my realm at the time -- both mundane and important.

I have friends, some of you know them, Dana, Jana, and Jennifer, who melt my heart of stone when they pray.  Their prayers make me feel as though I've entered the very throne room of God.  If I had to say what I've missed most about being home?  That would probably be it.  Praying with Dana, Jana, and Jennifer.  I'm so glad God has given me the privilege of hearing them . . .

Last year our small group started a video series by Jim Cymbala, pastor of The Brooklyn Tabernacle in New York City.  Their experience with prayer is amazing and well documented.  One of the things that has stuck with me from that series is this, when they pray for someone they pray that ultimately that person would come to the place where they will call upon the name of the Lord.  Let that roll around and settle in your brain and then your heart for a few minutes.  At the risk of offending some of you -- that scares the hell out of me.  Maybe because I know how stubborn I can be at times.

This morning as I was trying to finish up the study in 2 Samuel (there's been lots of interruptions) I came across this passage in 1 Chronicles 29:18.  David is praying for his people and for Solomon.  "Oh LORD, the GOD of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, our fathers, preserve this forever in the intentions of the heart of Your people, and direct their heart to You."  Sweet, sweet magnificence.

If I call upon the name of the Lord who or what can interfere with that?  When I call upon the name of the Lord I've gone straight to the top.  He alone has all the answers I need.  He alone can release me from the chains that bind.  With Jesus as our High Priest we ARE in the very throne room of God.  Amazing.

If I pray for your heart to be directed to God where else can you go?  Is there any better place to be?  Who else can calm your fears, convict you of sin, and heal your mind, body, soul, and spirit?  There is no one else.

Two short lines, but so powerful.  And so for all who read this today and others on my heart, here is my prayer for you:  May you call upon the name of the Lord, and may your heart be directed to Him.

This blog is dedicated to those beautiful friends of mine who speak so sweetly and so eloquently when they talk with their Father.  I love you ladies! - Dana Hodges, Jana McDonald, Jennifer Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment